Search This Blog

Sunday 5 May 2013

3:53 a.m. by Nocomus Columbus

AMAZON UK
AMAZON US
Hmm…a little weird, a bit ‘out there’. I didn’t get it, I’m afraid. Upon finishing, I felt I needed to reread it in order to try to understand, and therein, I think, lies the problem. A reread for me would be to revisit some thought-provoking elements, not as a necessity to comprehend. 

The story starts with a shocking murder, and the ensuing chapters flip back to the events leading up to it: four friends, secrets, betrayal, distrust, revenge and lies...all of which also contribute to a somewhat unexpected ending. 

This short story does need a pass through a good editor, but whether or not the quality of the editing was what clouded my perception, I’m just not sure. The plot line is good, strong, but it may have been too big for its word count, and…I don’t know whether this is intentional or not…I felt nothing at all for any of the characters. I’m going to give the benefit of the doubt to the author and say that perhaps he’s just too clever for me. He certainly has a unique style. 

The simplicity of the cover embodies the ‘less is more’ concept and certainly arouses curiosity, which I believe is satisfied by a ‘challenging’ short story.

No comments:

Post a Comment