Search This Blog

Tuesday 18 August 2015

Cargo by DV Berkom

AMAZON UK
AMAZON US

Berkom must have looked up ‘thriller’ in the dictionary: ‘A novel, play or film with an exciting plot, typically involving crime or espionage', then decided that the definition needed cranking up a notch or two…or six. 

I met Leine Basso in Serial Date. I was instantly smitten and stalked her unashamedly through books two and three. I adore her: she’s a doer. A job has to be done, she jolly well gets on and does it. She has determination, courage, intelligence and fearlessness. Well, she’s an ex assassin, after all, but the tough exterior houses a woman of passion, compassion and wit.

However, such sterling qualities don’t keep her out of trouble. A good friend’s headstrong daughter heads to the Far East for some time-out backpacking, but fears the worst when she realises she’s missing. Leine wastes no time and heads off to Bangkok to find her. She soon realises the young girl has been kidnapped for trafficking, but soon picks up her trail; things go badly awry and Leine becomes cargo on its way to Africa, along with ivory poacher Derek, who has seriously annoyed the leader of the trafficking ring. Since Derek values his life as much as Leine does her own, they merge their survival skills to escape. At the same time, the search for the missing girl must continue, but Leine discovers that the atrocity of trafficking isn’t confined to humans…animals are in grave danger too.

If Berkom can bear the weight, I’m just going to pile on another ton of praise for another excellent, fast-paced, gripping and riveting adventure in Leine Basso’s life. This author is described as being 'a slave to the voices in her head'. I hope they’re yelling at her very loudly, because I can’t wait to meet up with Leine again.

Highly recommended.

See also:

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lovely review, Cathy! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed Leine Basso's latest. And yes, I am most definitely listening to those voices...thank goodness my husband is used to it by now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you Cathy and couldn't have said it better myself. I love Leine Basso DV's writing. Excellent review. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent review, and I'm very glad that DV listens to the voices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful review for a great read.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete